" It's at the borders of pain and suffering that the men are separated from the boys."
- Emil Zatopek


Saturday, April 10, 2010

Training 4/5 to 4/11 (Off to Ireland)

4/5 Monday: 7 miles in 54 minutes

Very easy running in Winnekenni with Heather. Still very muddy, but it was nice to be off the roads.

4/6 Tuesday: 10 miles in 70 minutes

Easy 4 miles of warm up, then 6 x 800 at half marathon pace with one lap rest. Went 2:45, 2:43, 2:42, 2:41, 2:37, 2:39. Got a bit to quick on the last couple but the workout went well and I felt comfortable the whole time as I should at this pace. Did another 1.5 miles of cool down.

4/7 Wednesday: 7 miles in 53 minutes

Easy running from work. Great day to be outside!

Tonight I am off to Ireland. I will be running the Connemara Half Marathon on Sunday April 11th. If I get the chance I will update the blog with pictures and such, both running and non running related. I will have a full trip and racing report when I get home next weekend. See you all when I get back!


4/8 Thursday: OFF

Landed in Shannon at 6:00 am. Feeling very tired. Made the drive to Galway. Took the scenic route through the Burren and along the coast. Roads here in Ireland are crazy!!! Very narrow and the people drive like nuts! Took a long nap and then went out for dinner and checked out a couple pubs and some traditional music. So far Galway is a pretty cool place.


















4/9 Friday: 6 miles in 46 minutes

Heather and I ran along Galway Bay out and back on recommendation of the front desk girl. It was a good recommendation. It was a very beautiful run all along the bay and coast and all off the crazy roads of Ireland. Most of it was bike path and nice wide sidewalk. Felt OK, but had a few tight spots probably still due to all the crazy positions I tried to sleep in on the plane. Heading out into Galway now for some lunch and exploring.

















4/10 Saturday: 4 mile in 32 minutes

Heather and I ran along Galaway Bay again this morning before heading off to Clifden. We took the scenic route and got to see some awesome sights. There are a few pictures below to check out. Its the day before our race so we are hanging low tonight (No Guinness for Heather). We traveled along some of the course today and it looks both challenging and beautiful. We are very excited to be racing in the morning!















































4/11 Sunday: 15.1 miles in 1 hour 33 minutes

Ran the Connemara Half Marathon. Did 2 miles of warm up with Heather. Then raced 13.1 in 1:17:06 good for first place and 500 Euros! Results. Full race report when I get back to the states.

Total Miles: 49.1

7 comments:

  1. Chris, have a great time man! That should be a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bob. Finally got here. I feel like I have not slept in days. Heading off to explore Galway! And then take a nap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never explored Ireland, but stopped over going to England. I always get a kick out of eating at, or visiting buildings that are hundreds of years older than our country. There aren't any pubs in the US that date to 1400!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jim, haven't even really thought about the race much since landing here. Such a fun and friendly place so far.

    Bob, its crazy to go into and see stuff that was built so long ago. So far its been a great trip Ireland is a very cool place. You might want to check it out someday. I will try to out up more pictures and such as time permits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Chris, congrats on the international win!! That's pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Steve! It was a real experience running a race in another country. I think I will try it again some time. Ireland on a whole was an awesome time. I am sad to be leaving tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete