" It's at the borders of pain and suffering that the men are separated from the boys."
- Emil Zatopek


Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Week of 3/9 to 3/15

3/9 Monday: 7.5 miles in 55 minutes

Easy running around Westford while Caitlyn was at dance.

3/10 Tuesday: OFF

Planned day off to rest up the legs and take a break.

3/11 Wednesday: 9.2 miles in 61 minutes

Got to run outside today. It was awesome out there! I did 3 x mile at approximate half marathon pace on the roads around Lexington.



3/12 Thursday: 11 miles in 1 hour and 14 minutes

Outside again! My plan today was to see how I felt and then either run an easy 11 or roll into an easy progression run.  Well I felt pretty good from the get go and ran a solid progression. The last 5 miles went from 6:43 to 6:01 pace (made sure that 6:00 was the fastest I went as I wanted to make sure I didn't over do it before New Bedford 1/2 this weekend).



3/13 Friday: 5 miles in 40 minutes 

Easy running on the treadmill at work. Time to rest up!

3/14 Saturday: 4 miles in 32 minutes 

Easy running on the treadmill at home while the baby took a nap. Heather was off at a race kicking ass as she usually does! She scored a solid road 5k time of 18:09. She's a stud!

3/15 Sunday: 18.4 miles in 1 hour and 59 minutes

USATFNE Championships at New Bedford Half Marathon. Ran 1:11:35 good for 24th place overall.

The quick version: The plan was to got out relaxed and conservative through the early hills and then see what I had. Went out pretty easy and rolled through the first four miles (5:17, 5:34, 5:34, 5:33) relaxed and feeling good. At this point he course goes slightly down hill and flat for a long ways. Early in this section I got in a group with Jefferson Welch and a few other guys I didn't know. But it was a good pack and we stuck together till about ten miles, where things started to break up. But anyways we hit the down to flat section and rolled some good miles (5:16, 5:17, 5:08, 5:20, 5:18 5:21) This brought us to ten miles and into the wind! I gave it a good go into the wind as I knew I was on pace for a PR, I also new the last hill was looming too! The next two miles went (5:34, 5:39) and I knew I was in trouble heading into the hill. I also lost contact with Jefferson at about 11.5 and he hit the hill good and had a great race for himself. I hit the hill and threw down a clunker of a mile in 6:04.  The wind and hill had done me in once again, like it does every year. I finished in 1:11:35, good for 24th place and only 20 seconds off my personal best.

Although disappointed I couldn't hold it together, I was happy with the overall time and effort I put into the race. I am good shape and I know I have some good races in me the next few months. As always, I just have to stay healthy





Total Miles: 55.1

No comments:

Post a Comment