" It's at the borders of pain and suffering that the men are separated from the boys."
- Emil Zatopek


Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Week of 2/23 to 3/1

2/23 Monday: 8 miles in 58 minutes

I ran outside today....it was awesome to be outside. I still feel crappy and tired

2/24 Tuesday: 8 miles in 62 minutes

Treadmill running, felt crappy and tired.

2/25 Wednesday: 9 miles in 61 minutes

Warm up of three miles with a few stride/pickups. Then I went right into 3 x mile at 5:18 pace with 1/2 mile recovery (7:30 pace). Then another 2 miles of cool down. Pace actually felt comfortable, body still feeling a bit tired. In hindsight I probably should not have done this workout. I felt terrible later, still recovering from being sick.

2/26 Thursday: 11 miles in 78 minutes

Easy 6 miles of warm up then 5 miles of progression from 6:50 to 6:09 pace. Not as fast as my last few, but I am still not feeling 100% yet.

2/27 Friday: 5 miles in 39 minutes

Easy treadmill running at home.

2/28 Saturday: AM: 4 miles in 32 minutes PM: 10.5 miles in 85 minutes

AM: Easy running at home on the treadmill. Just trying to loosen up the legs before the snowshoe race tonight

PM: Kingman Farm Snowshoe Race: Results

Here is a quick summary of what went down. My plan was to get out quick and try to stay as close to Jim Johnson as I could for a bit. My hope was that this would build us both a lead over the rest of the field and then I could see how close I could stay to Jim over the rest of the race.  This is not how it all went down. Instead Jim smoked us all right off the line. I ran as hard as I could and couldn't get away from anyone behind me. After hitting a less than packed out field and then a section that had not been broken out at all my legs were smoked and I decided to lay down a few times and find a nice place to make snow angels. By the time I found a good spot Eric Narcisi had caught up to me and I told him to just leave me to die and carry on. Once I decided to pick myself up again I caught up to Eric and we made our way towards the last section of trail. The only problem was we never got there. We got turned the wrong way at an intersection and were off the course and headed back to the start/finish area from the wrong direction. We were soon notified of our mistake and we were officially DQ'd. Those runners in places 2-5 all went the wrong way at this same intersection. I not too sure I was having a good race anyways, I felt like I was running as fast as I could, but I wasn't performing the way I thought I was capable of. I was disappointed with not being able to finish the race and have a real gauge of my performance. I should have known this was a bad idea to run a night race, my night vision is terrible and I have trouble gauging distance under these conditions. To be honest I only saw a few course flags and arrows the whole time even though I know they were out there. Maybe I need a brighter head lamp to help me out!

Even though the race did not turn out as I had wanted, it was awesome as always to get to hangout with and race with the crew that was there. Next year I will be back with a better understanding of the course and a brighter head lamp!




3/1 Sunday: 16 miles in 1 hour and 53 minutes

I actually felt pretty good on this run despite the ass kicking I took running last night. Legs felt very heavy and a touch sore, but the pace came pretty easy. Maybe I am still in decent shape after all.

Total Miles: 71.6

No comments:

Post a Comment