" It's at the borders of pain and suffering that the men are separated from the boys."
- Emil Zatopek


Thursday, March 5, 2015

Week of 3/2 to 3/8

3/2 Monday: AM: 7 miles in 52 minutes PM: 4 miles in 32 minutes

AM: Easy running around Lexington. Hit up downtown for a loop and back to work. Feeling pretty beat still from the snowshoe race and long run.

PM: Very easy running on the treadmill at home. Just trying to run the hurt out of my legs.

3/3 Tuesday: 8 miles in 60 minutes

Easy running on the treadmill at home. Still feeling it in my quads.

3/4 Wednesday: 9 miles in 62 minutes

Three miles of warm up with a few pick ups / strides then into 4 x 400 at 5:00 pace with 400 rest at 7:30 pace. Then one mile easy and back into 4 x 400 at 5:00 pace with 400 rest at 7:30.  Then an easy 1.5 miles to finish up.

3/5 Thursday: 8 miles in 62 minutes

Easy treadmill running at home. Keeping it easy going into this weekends race

3/6 Friday: 4 miles in 32 minutes

very easy running on the treadmill at work. Try to get my legs fresh for tomorrows race.

3/7 Saturday: 12.1 miles in 1 hour and 44 minutes 

Northeast Snowshoe Federation and NH State Snowshoe Championships (RESULTS) at Castle in the Clouds in Moultonborough NH. Warmed up an easy 2.7 miles on the roads near the course and then it was go time! The field for this race was stacked with the top Snowshoe guys in the region and even some road guys chasing the All Terrain Series. I went into this race thinking that if all went well I might be able to sneak into the top 5, but I figured a top ten spot would be solid considering my lack of snowshoe experience and the deep field. The race went off and Jim Johnson and Kevin Tilton Shot off to the lead. I got out good and settled in right behind Damon Gannon and was in 4th place, with a lot of guys breathing down my neck. The course goes to single track almost immediately so It was important to get out quick. After about the first 3/4 of a mile I asked to get past Damon and he let me pass. I got a small gap here but I could hear a pack of guys chasing me down! The course goes up hill for a few miles and I held my 3rd place spot for about 2.5 miles of it. But there was someone who had caught up to me and was right on me. After a few minutes of this I let the person by as I felt I was holding them back. Soon I realized it was Ethan Nadeau that I had let pass. He is 42 years young and a total bad ass, ass kicking master. I took a quick peek back at this point and promptly fell on my face, got up and fell again. I also noticed a couple guys still not to far back. After collecting myself I was on my way again and soon on the down hill portion of the course. I could still see Ethan not to far ahead and kept trying to convince myself to get after him, all the while still worrying about the talented snowshoers trying to chase me down. I pressed the downhills the best I could but never made any ground on Ethan. We soon passed the finish area and were on out way for the final loop, another uphill and downhill portion. At this point I was hurting and just thinking I should concentrate on keeping my position.  I did catch one more glimpse of Ethan on the uphill, but there was no way I was going to catch him. This up hill had a couple steeper sections and I actually power hiked them. I just wanted to get to the downhill and figured I could hold my place if I just got there be fore anyone caught me. Soon enough I made it and cruised the downs the best I could. Then I could hear people cheering at the finish and I knew this race would soon be over. I got to the finish line in 50:03 good for 4th place overall and a race I was pretty proud of. Considering my lack of snowshoe experience and the mountain style course I was happy with the outcome. Jim got the win followed by Kevin and Ethan in 4th place. CMS represented well with 4 guys in the top 5. Did another 3.4 miles of cool down after the race.


Joe Viger Photography  www.joeviger.com


Joe Viger Photography  www.joeviger.com


Photo Gianina Lindsey (Snap Acidotic)




3/8 Sunday: 14 miles in 1 hour and 48 minutes

I was pretty beat today after the snowshoe race, so I kept this run real easy and just got through it.

Total Miles: 66.2

No comments:

Post a Comment