" It's at the borders of pain and suffering that the men are separated from the boys."
- Emil Zatopek


Wednesday, January 6, 2010

2009 The Raw Numbers and a Summary

Here are the raw numbers for my 2009 running.

The Raw Numbers

Miles run:
2396
Average week: 46.1 miles
Biggest Week: 91 miles
Lowest week: 0 miles
Biggest Month: 349 miles
Lowest Month: 45 miles

The Race Numbers

Races: 21
Races Won: 8
Top 3: 9
Top 5: 14
PR's: 4 (3k track, 5k track, 3 mile road, 12k)

By Race Distance

3k: 1
3 miles: 1
5k (track): 2
5k (road): 5
4 miles: 1
5 miles: 1
10k: 3
12k: 1
7.6 mile: 1
10 miles: 1
1/2 Marathon: 3
Marathon: 1

Highlights by Month

January
  • Ran indoor track for the first time in a long time.
  • Ran a 3k PR of 8:56 at the GBTC Invite.
  • Ran a 5k PR of 15:29 at the BU Terrier Invite.
  • Ran 148 miles
February
  • Ran the USATFNE Indoor Track Championships for the first time ever.
  • Ran the 5k at the USATFNE Championships in a PR of 15:28 and 5th place overall.
  • Ran 192 miles
March
  • Ran Spring Ahead 3 miler in PR of 15:04 beating Wilson Perez for 1st place.
  • Ran Gilmanton 5k, the first race of the CARS series of races. Finished in 5th place.
  • Ran 257 miles.
April
  • Ran the SEA 5k, 2nd race in the CARS series, Finished 1st in 15:57.
  • Ran the Merrimack Trail Race 10m. Finished 1st in 57:31. The 5th fastest time ever and 3rd fastest person ever, only behind Paul Low and Dave Dunham. Beat a very quality field that included Kevin Tilton and Ben Nephew.
  • Ran 209 miles
May
  • Ran Children's Museum 5k placing 1st in 15:57 beating John Mentzer
  • Ran Big Lake 1/2 Marathon in 1:12:06 for first place beating Scott Rowe, Wilson Perez and Jim Johnson. This was probably my best race all year and it was against a very talented field of runners.
  • Ran the Bedford 12k, a USATFNE Champioship race. Finished 12th place in 39:19. My best finish ever in a non marathon USATFNE Championship race.
  • Ran the Canterbury XC Challenge (CARS Series) the day after Bedford. I won in 17:35 over a very tough course. But I paid for it. This is where I pulled my hamstring and all my issues started. Too much racing!
  • Ran Redhook 5k. Finished 4th place in 16:05. But was in a lot of pain and it was here that I knew I had some real issues.
  • Ran 198 miles
June
  • Ran the Run for Rusty 4 miler (CARS Series). Finished first in 21:51. Ran just hard enough to win.
  • Ran Mt Washington Road Race. The most miserable experience of my life. See the write up! Finished 58th in 1:20:44. A very poor performance.
  • Ran 145 miles
July
  • Ran the final CARS Series race. The Bill Luti 5 miler. I finished 5th place in 27:14. Just enough to seal the Men's Open CARS series Championship.
  • Still constantly getting treatment on hamstrings to allow myself to run.
  • Ran 269 miles
August
  • Ran my First Beach to Beacon and it was a great time. Finished 44th in 33:12.
  • Ran Sunders at Rye Harbor 10k. Finished 5th in 32:46. This was the first race since May that I actually felt good, with minimal leg issues
  • Got in some really good marathon training.
  • Ran 349 miles
September
  • Ran run to The Rock 1/2 Marathon in 1:13:29 for first place becoming the first person to ever have won all three races (5k, 10k, 1/2 marathon)
  • Ran Lone Gull 10k, a USATFNE Championship, finishing in 32:49 for 33rd place. Had some pretty bad cramping issue in this race.
  • Ran 308 miles
October
  • Ran The Baystate Marathon, a USATFNE Championship, ran 2:41:58 for 18th place. This race was a disaster. It was my worst marathon time ever. My hamstrings went bizerk about 10 miles in and the weather was brutally awful.
  • Ran 198 miles
November
  • Ran Seacoast Half Marathon in 1:14:43 for 3rd place. Another worst ever time for the distance. Legs were gone and it was obvious I was in need of time off.
  • Time off completely from running.
  • Hiked 6 NH 4000 footers
  • Ran 79 miles
December
  • Tried running a few time early in the month, but the legs were still not having it.
  • Hiked 1 more NH 4000 footer
  • Started running again consistently right at the end of the month.
  • Ran 45 miles

Overall it was a frustrating year. I felt like I was off to great start and I was running better than I ever have. Then injuries made the rest of my year very inconsistent. I still had some good performances, some great training, and even in the fall I thought I was stronger than I ever have been. I just couldn't put it together when it counted. I hope that the time off I took to rest and recover was the right thing to do. I hope to come back in 2010 running smarter and stronger than ever! See you out there on the roads, trails, and mountains!



2 comments:

  1. Glad to see that you're rested, recovered and rolling to 2010 with a fresh start. I'm looking forward to trying to hang with you when we're both at 100% this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a plan!!! I just hope I can hang with you.......you have been getting in some good training and racing pretty damn fast! See you out there!

    ReplyDelete