" It's at the borders of pain and suffering that the men are separated from the boys."
- Emil Zatopek


Thursday, June 30, 2011

Rest, Recovery, and some fun!

Since the USATFNE track 10k I have taken some time off to rest and recover a bit. I have been suffering through some plantar fasciitis issues and running 9 races over an 8 week period did not help things. The 10k on the track was really pushing things as it was one week after a half marathon and the foot had been hurting a lot. I felt awful during the 10k and the foot was killing both during and after the race. I had started going to Off Season Sports and Physical Therapy for treatment and I figured taking some down time could only help the healing.

So what have I been up to?

On the weekend of 18th and 19th I got outside and enjoyed the great weather. On Saturday I went down to Wampatuck State Park to get in some mountain biking with my brother Ryan. It was a blast! We had a great ride and the trails in there were awesome! It had been way too long since I had been out there on my bike. Its something I need to do more often.

On Sunday we headed up to NH to go hiking. Heather, my daughter Caitlyn and I hiked Mt Kearsarge. We had an awesome day and I was very proud of how well Caitlyn did! The best part is.....she loved it!


















The next weekend Heather and I went down to Atlantic City for the Dave Matthews Band Caravan. We went for all three days, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. It was a blast!! We saw a bunch of awesome bands and of course each night was topped off with an amazing set by Dave Matthews Band. Some highlights included sets by Fitz and the Tantrums, Ray Lamontagne, David Gray, From Good Homes, and OAR. On Saturday morning I actually ran 5 miles with Heather on the boardwalk, the foot felt OK, it was tight, but not too painful.

Me in front of the main stage



















Dave Matthews Band at Sunset



















Fitz and the Tantrums



















Lisa Hannigan



















I really enjoyed my two weeks of "resting" and "recovering" ha ha. Next week I will try running a few times and see how things feel. I hope that a couple weeks off and my continued trips to physical therapy will get me ahead of this foot problem and get me on the road to recovery. There are races on the horizon and I want to be ready!

6/13 to 6/26 Total Miles: 5

2 comments:

  1. I see remnants of a stash in the hiking photo...then a clean shaven Chris Mahoney-Searles in the double-fisting photo....that's not going to fly to well at Stowe. I was clean shaven there last year and ran like crap. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha.....well, with the amount of running I have done recently I am not expecting to run all that well at Stowe. I still have just over two weeks to get my stache and legs ready!

    ReplyDelete