" It's at the borders of pain and suffering that the men are separated from the boys."
- Emil Zatopek


Thursday, July 1, 2010

Plaistow Old Home Day 5k

On June 26th Heather and I made the 5 minute drive up to Plaistow, NH for the Old Home Day 5k. I was looking for a race for Saturday morning and this one was nice and close. Once signed up I ran into some Whirlaway teammates in Craig Fram, Paul Doe, Nancy Corsaro and Frank Corsaro. Soon I was off for a warm up with Craig, we ran the course so I could check it out as I have never run this race before. The course was pretty quick with the first mile pretty flat to down, then some steady but gentle up hill in the second mile, and some down and up hill in the third mile.

After a quick change into my new Nike Lunar Racer 2's I headed over to the starting line. After a few commands we were off and running. Right off the start a group of high-schoolers took the lead and led us out for the first 1/2 mile or so. Soon Craig went to the front and I went after him. Pretty quickly we separated ourselves from the rest of the pack and we were off on our own. We hit the first mile in 5:13 and Craig was looking pretty strong. I was feeling pretty heavy, probably due to the miles I had put in the few days before the race. A little bit after the mile mark we started heading up a gentle up hill that goes for most of the second mile. It was here that I pressed a bit and opened up a bit of a lead on Craig. Throughout the rest of the second mile I continued to put distance on Craig. I went through the second mile in 10:27 (5:14 mile) and was feeling pretty rough by this point. At this point the course has a gentle downhill that allowed me to recover a bit and get ready for the push to the finish line. I took a peak behind and saw that I had the race in hand and I just needed to get myself to the finish. After a bit of an uphill back into the center of Plaistow I hit the finish line in 16:21. Craig Finished 2nd in 17:05 and Alex Brown 3rd in 17:08. For the women Gisele Bundchen ????? finished first in 19:54.











































No comments:

Post a Comment