" It's at the borders of pain and suffering that the men are separated from the boys."
- Emil Zatopek


Sunday, February 12, 2012

Training 2/6 to 2/12

2/6 Monday: 8 miles in 60 minutes

Treadmill running at home. I felt awful this morning....I was dizzy, had blurred vision, felt nauseous, and had a splitting headache. I really thought I was getting a bad migraine or something. I didn't feel better till well after lunch, so I missed out on the great weather today. Maybe it was an after effect of watching the Patriots play like crap last night. At least I got in some running on the treadmill.

Congrats to my best friend Brian for having a great race up at the Frigid Fiver in Newburyport on Sunday. Keep up the running and good things will happen!

2/7 Tuesday: 10.5 miles in 80 minutes

I ran the Shawsheen River Trails to the trails behind Andover High and over to the West Parish Cemetery. Felt better as the run went on.

2/8 Wednesday: 10.4 miles in 68 minutes

I ran from Cedardale Health and Fitness in Bradford today. I was short on time but wanted to get in some miles. So the thought was I would head out for a run and if I felt good I would pick up the pace as I went. So the run was basically a long progression run over a very rolling course through Bradford and hitting part of the Bradford Valentine 5 mile course. The miles went by in 7:27, 6:50, 6:51, 6:33, 6:28, 6:22, 6:37, 6:18, 6:01, 5:38. Nothing blazing fast, but it felt good to be able to slowly increase the effort and increase the pace all while feeling pretty comfortable.

2/9 Thursday: 8.3 miles in 65 minutes

Easy on the Shawsheen River trails. I felt pretty beat today after the effort I put in yesterday. So I was sure to just run easy and enjoy getting outside.

2/10 Friday: AM: 4.4 miles in 35 minutes PM: 8.6 miles in 66 minutes

AM: Easy running on the treadmill at home.

PM: Running along the Shawsheen River Trail. After the first few miles I started getting some twinges in my heel that were a bit concerning. It was the first hint of pain I have gotten in a long while. This was a very disappointing run for me and really left me wondering about the condition of my foot.

2/11 Saturday: Off

Took the day off to let the foot rest up. I am trying to be smart, an extra 4-5 miles today is not going to make a huge difference in the long run.

2/12 Sunday: 16 miles in 1 hour and 59 minutes

Ran the first 12 miles with the amazing, talented, and beautiful Heather. We ran over to Bradford and did the Bradford Valentines Race course. The foot was pretty well behaved and I got none of those twinges I got on Friday's run. I finished off my run with another 4 miles of easy running and got home with no pain. I did plenty of stretching after and then put some ice on the foot. Its tight....but no pain. I need to watch this thing and be sure I am continuing to do preventative maintenance.

Total Miles: 66.2

Despite the bad run on Friday afternoon and the missed day on Saturday, the week was not too bad. I got in a decent workout on Wednesday, a solid week of miles and the week ended with a decent long run. Next week should be about the same....but I think I will keep it all easy and keep a close eye on the foot.

3 comments:

  1. Three observations/comments...

    [1] Your PM run on Friday is how I feel all the time. Always wondering and disappointed with each run because of pain.

    [2] I think Heather hacked your blog and added a sentence at the beginning of your Sunday post.

    [3[ I ran 0.5 miles more than you this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) That sucks. And I feel like I have just been running and waiting for the pain....well it finally came. I need to just keep treating it.....pain or no pain.

    2) You are probably right! There is no way she can keeo up with me for 12 miles ;)

    3) I know.....I actually thought of going back out for another mile. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1) That's what you get for not listening to your girlfriend.

    2) Don't make me give you a wedgie.

    3) You mentioned going out for another mile then, I told you not to be a dumbass because it's doing stuff like that which will make your foot hurt.

    ReplyDelete