" It's at the borders of pain and suffering that the men are separated from the boys."
- Emil Zatopek


Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Training 2/22 to 2/28

2/22 Monday: OFF

Starting the week with a day off was not good. Very busy late night at work. Working on a big presentation I need to give on Thursday.

2/23 Tuesday: AM: 10 miles in 76 minutes PM: 4 miles in 32 minutes

AM: Rattlesnake Road loop. Ran very easy

PM: Very easy treadmill run at home.

2/24 Wednesday: OFF

Another day off due to work. Preparing for the big work presentation tomorrow.

2/25 Thursday: 9 miles in 62 minutes

I gave my big presentation today (I think it went well...they let me come back to work the next day) then hit the treadmill at home for a tempo run. Did 3 easy miles then the next 2 at 6:00 pace and the next 2 at 5:52 pace. Nothing crazy or even that fast, but I have not done any quicker longer stuff yet. I felt pretty good and was happy with the effort.

2/26 Friday: OFF

Another day off. I should have known this week would suck for running. Big presentation plus bad weather = not much running. The good news is I should be fresh for the DH Jones 10 miler on Sunday. No electricity, water in basement, No daycare, means no running. Because of the lack of electricity I headed to my favorite Haverhill watering hole for dinner and a couple brews. Check out The Tap if you get a chance.

2/27 Saturday: 4 miles in 31 minutes

A very easy run with Heather. Ran around the area to check out the storm damage. Lots of tress and power lines down all over the place. Thursday nights storm really did some damage to the area.

2/28 Sunday: 15.5 miles in 98 minutes

Ran the DH Jones 10 Miler today. This was also the USATFNE 10 mile Championships. Ran well and placed 25th overall in 55:41. I would say I was satified with this result considering the training I have put in. See the soon to come race report for all the details!

Total miles: 42.5 miles

Overall it was a pretty bad week as far as getting in the miles goes. It was also a very stressful week with the presentation and that really bad storm. Its going to happen now and then, and it was probably a good thing to get me rested up. I still had a good result at the 10 miler and I am starting to gain some confidence in my running. Time to get back to work and build off this last race. New Bedford 1/2 Marathon is three weeks away.

4 comments:

  1. Chris, in college my official philosophy was that it was better to go into an exam well rested instead of well prepared. So I'd sleep the night before a big test and let other people cram all night. I'd usually do better with a fresh mind than the guys who crammed all night but were fried for the exam. Of course, it occasionally backfired with disastrous results, but whatever.

    Is that the same Rattlesnake Rd. that Nate Jenkins runs about 10 times per week?

    You should come up to Portsmouth next Sunday for the St. Paddy's Five Miler to get into the spirit for your upcoming trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Bob, Good point. I was well rested and I was satisfied with the race results, so I can't complain too much. It just wasn't the plan.

    Yes, its the same road. I see him out there now and then. Its a great back road with nice rolling hills.

    I will most likley be there for the St. Paddys Five Miler. I am just not sure if I am racing. Heather will be racing so I will be there either way. I am just going to see how the next two weeks go and make a decision late next week. New Bedford is a week later and I want to be ready to run well there. Are you running New Bedford?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent, see you there! I'm not running, but it is my first experience helping to organize a race, so if it sucks you know who to blame!

    Yup, I'm doing New Bedford but coming off the shorter races for indoor I'm not as prepared as I'd like to be for 13 miles but we'll see how it goes. I've heard it can be windy but on a normal day would you call it a faster course than the Seacoast HM?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would say that the New Bedford course is faster. I have run my two fastest half marathons on that course. It can be very windy down by the water, But that is only for 2-3 miles. There are some early hills, but then it is very flat or slightly downhill for a very long ways till you hit the water. It is still flat but s I said it can be very windy. In the last mile there is a longer hill, not steep, just long, that can slow you down. Overall it can be a fast course on the right day.

    ReplyDelete