" It's at the borders of pain and suffering that the men are separated from the boys."
- Emil Zatopek


Monday, October 12, 2009

Last week before Baystate Marathon

10/12 Monday: OFF

This was not going to be a day off. But I decided a day off from running to rest up would be good. The work for the marathon is done, "The hay is in the barn" as they say. Time to freshen up the legs and get ready to race!

10/13 Tuesday: 5 miles in 38 minutes

Very easy run. Felt a bit fresher today. Not as heavy as I have been feeling. I had a good talk with Coach Fernando today about nutrition, race goals, strategy, and execution. Its time to start visualizing success and getting myself mentally ready for the challenges of running 26.2 miles.

10/14 Wednesday: 7 miles in 50 minutes

Did this run pretty early in the morning before work. I did a very easy 2 miles of warm up then hit the track for 3 x 800 with 200m in 90 sec rest. Did each interval in 2:40. I then took 1 lap rest then did 1 mile in 5:40.

I will be heading the The Sports Spa this afternoon for a pre-race massage to work out any crap in the legs and get them ready to run fast!

Took an Epsom salt bath later this evening

10/15 Thursday: 5 miles in 39 minutes

Real easy run today. Felt a bit better, not as heavy or tight today. Really starting to think about the race....trying to visualize success!

10/16 Friday: OFF

No running today. Rest and relaxation.

10/17 Saturday: 3 miles in 23 minutes

Real easy run this morning followed by 6 x 12 second strides. Still not feeling very fresh...I think a lot of it is nerves. I hope I am ready tomorrow when the gun goes off!

10/18 Sunday: Baystate Marathon

Warmed up for a mile. Then 26.2 miles in 2:41:58 for 18th place. Race report will be up soon.

Total: 47 miles

The week leading up to the race was good. I thought that I was well prepared and ready to run well. The only thing that was bothering me was some tightness in my hamstrings (but they
always seem a bit tight to me). I guess I should have paid more attention to them as my hamstrings are what cost me at the marathon. More details about the race to follow in my race report.

The next week will be recovery, some days off and then some very light running. I am still planning on racing Seacoast half marathon on November 8th. That's if I recover well and the hamstrings feel good. If not I will just got up and use the race as a training run.

3 comments:

  1. Looks like you've been putting in some good work. What are you shooting for? Looks like there should be a decent sized group in the 2:28-2:32 range. And the wetaher looks awesome! JK. See you Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well...I was thinking 2:30 to 2:32 range. How about you? I am sticking with that unless the weather looks real bad on Sunday. If thats the case, I will just be racing for place and not worry to much about the time. I think you are right, there should be a decent size group of guys around 2:30 pace. Hopfully that helps! See you Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2:29-2:32 depending on the wind. I'd rather have it cold than hot.

    ReplyDelete