" It's at the borders of pain and suffering that the men are separated from the boys."
- Emil Zatopek


Monday, June 8, 2009

Injury Update

Well all the racing and running has caught up with me. I am having some trouble with my left hamstring. It all started after running the Big Lake Half Marathon and then running the Bedford 12k then the next day running a XC race on a very tough course. Three very tough races in eight days did me in and as a result I am fighting a lot of hamstring tightness and pain while running.


I took off a week of running and saw Mike Toomey at the Sports Spa for some treatment. Turns out my hips are very tight as well and this may actually be the cause of my hamstring issues. So after some treatment and an ice bath I gave running a go on Saturday. Did 4 miles real easy and the legs felt alright, a bit tight but alright. The next day I did 6 miles real easy while Heather raced at the Smuttynose 5k. The legs felt OK, but still not right, a lot of tightness, but no pain. Today my hamstring feels pretty bad, very tight, so I am taking today off. No running, but I am stretching and trying to get things loosened up so I can run tomorrow.


So we will see how it all goes. I would like to be ready to run at Mt Washington. But this seems like its going to be one of those lingering injuries that will continue to haunt me for a while. I will keep stretching and working on it till its gone or it puts me out of commission for a while. I hope I win this one. I don't want to have to take off anymore time.

No comments:

Post a Comment