" It's at the borders of pain and suffering that the men are separated from the boys."
- Emil Zatopek


Friday, February 6, 2015

Week of 2/2 to 2/8

2/2 Monday: 8.0 miles in 62 minutes

Easy running on the treadmill at home...watching the snow fall outside...again. Someday I hope to run outside again. It will be epic!

2/3 Tuesday: 8.0 miles in 62 minutes


I can't believe there was no school again today. Easy running on the treadmill at home...again. Today I was a little bit quicker than yesterday. Treadmill running.......boring.

2/4 Wednesday: AM: 9.0 miles in 63 minutes  PM: 5.0 miles in 39 minutes


AM: Treadmill at work. I was feeling a little flat and not looking forward to this workout, but I was going to get it in anyways! Did 3 miles of warm up with a few pick-up/strides then right into 8 x 400m (75 sec) with 400m rest (7:30-7:41). Then 2 miles of cool down. The pace felt easier this week than it did two weeks ago.

PM: Easy treadmill running at home after work

2/5 Thursday: 11.0 miles in 77 minutes

Treadmill running at work. Today's run featured a progression run. First 6 miles easy then into progression from 6:35 pace to 5:56 pace. Had to stop the treadmill and reset it after 5 miles so the stupid thing wouldn't shut me off in the middle of my progression run. The damn work treadmills shut off automatically after an hour. Felt pretty solid and smooth. 

2/6 Friday: 5.0 miles in 40 minutes


Easy running on the treadmill at work. It looked nice out....but really it was just freezing cold..again.

2/7 Saturday: AM: 10.4 miles in 1 hour 46 minutes PM: 4.0 miles in 32 minutes

AM: Horsehill snowshoe race. This was my first snowshoe race in a very long time. Last time was kind of an awful experience on a very hard course with no snow. This time I knew there was plenty of snow and I had been out on the snow shoes a few times leading up to the race. Headed out for a course preview and warm up with Jim Johnson to check out the conditions. First mile or so was single track, but packed pretty well. It went up and over a pretty good ridge that we would see twice (out and back). The next almost two miles were soft, deep, very curvy and rolling. This was going to be a very tough section. It seemed only a few people had been through since the last storm. Then the course drops back onto the packed single track back up and over the ridge to the finish. 

My plan was to run conservative. Right off the start everyone let Jim go and a pack of 4 of us (Chad Carr, Eric Narcisi, Damon Gannon, and myself) led the rest of the field out.  Damon led the way followed by myself, Chad, and then Eric. We stayed in this order and everyone seemed content for a ways. Just before the treacherous soft and deep section Eric seemed to slip back a bit. Once in the deep stuff things slowed down a lot I was Ok with it for a little bit...but I was getting antsy thinking maybe I could get a way and secure a 2nd place finish. Just then Chad asked to go by and I said me too! Then I just went for it took a couple steps in the deep stuff and got by Damon, I think Chad got by Damon just after I did. We dropped Damon pretty quickly and I tried to press the pace and get a lead on Chad. I was extending my small lead, but only in very small increments. It gets confusing as you loop back and forth through the woods. I kept seeing Chad, Damon and Eric, and it was tough to figure out how far back they were. The one thing I did know was that Chad was not too far behind. Soon we were off the deep and stuff and back on the packed single track and headed back over the ridge. My legs were absolute trash at this point and I had to walk a few steps going over the ridge. I did take a peak back and saw Chad not far behind! That got me going and I hammered the downhill as hard as I could thinking if I could get to the bottom fist I would be ok as ther was only about 500 - 600m of running left from there. I managed to hold off Chad by 36 seconds and secured myself a 2nd place finish...only 2:53 behind Jim.....I have a ways to go!

Race Results





PM: Easy treadmill running at home....trying to get the hurt out of my legs.

2/8 Sunday: 14 miles in 1 hour 44 minutes

Easy longrun around Westford.

Total Miles: 74.4

No comments:

Post a Comment