" It's at the borders of pain and suffering that the men are separated from the boys."
- Emil Zatopek


Monday, August 17, 2009

Training 8/10 to 8/16

8/10 Monday: AM: 8 miles in 60 minutes PM: 4.7 miles in 35 minutes

Very easy on both runs today. Did my evening run with Heather.

8/11 Tuesday: AM: 4.3 miles in 33 minutes PM: 13 miles in 89 minutes

Easy run in the morning. Track in the evening. 25 minutes of warm up followed by 800m in 2:35 90 seconds rest, 800m in 2:35 directly into 1200m at 87-90 second pace (went 4:21) 90 seconds rest into 5 x 1000m, goal pace of 77 seconds a lap (about 5:10 pace) with 90 seconds rest. Did all five with in a couple of seconds of the 3:13 goal time. After the 90 seconds rest did 800m in 2:30 with 90 seconds rest, then 800m in 2:30 directly into 1200m at 87-90 second pace (went 4:23)

8/12 Wednesday: 7 miles in 52 minutes

8/13 Thursday: 10 miles in 63:30

This was a progression run. Started with 3 miles at around 7 minutes pace, then 3 miles at 6:10 to 6:20 pace, then 4 miles at 6:00 to 6:10 pace. I kept all miles in the goal pace zones except my last 2 miles. I got lazy and lost my concentration during mile 9 and put up a 6:12...just a bit slower than it should have been. So I put a bit more effort into the pace in the last mile and went way too fast by running 5:42.

8/14 Friday: 9.6 miles in 70 minutes

8/15 Saturday: 16.4 miles in 1 hour and 52 minutes

This run did not go as planned. Plan was to run 5 miles easy, 5 miles at 6 minute pace, 1 mile easy, then 5 miles at 5:50 pace. I got outside a bit later than I wanted and it was already getting way too hot for this kind of run. I got in the 5 miles easy and then the 5 miles at 6 minutes pace, but by the time I was done with that part I was sweating bad and suffering pretty good in the hot and humid air...so I decided to make some adjustments and get in what I could. The rest of my work out after the one mile easy went. One mile at 5:50, half mile easy, 1 mile at 5:50, half mile easy, 1 mile at 5:50 pace, then easy running back home....which was barely running at all....it might have qualified as a walk back home. It took me forever to stop sweating, I was dizzy, and felt nauseous. Totally awesome. So I decided to take an ice bath after, not only for my legs, but just to cool me off. Jumped on the scale before getting in the ice bath.....126.2 pounds!!! I left the house at just over 132 pounds.

After trying to melt myself outside, Heather and I went to Jaffery NH for the The 20th Annual Jaffrey Festival of Fireworks. It claims to be the most amazing display of fireworks in New England! I would have to agree! It was actually pretty awesome. If you like fireworks check it out.

Sunday 8/16: 7 miles in 54 minutes

Heather and I went over to Maudslay State Park in an effort to avoid the heat and get in a run in the woods. This is a great park for a run with some awesome trails. It was nice to get off the roads for a bit and enjoy a run in such a nice setting.

Total Miles: 80 miles

Another solid week of running and workouts. The only hicup was Saturdays long run / workout. But I think I made the right move in adjusting for the heat and not trying to kill myself by forcing the workout portion of the run. Next week will be a lower mileage week with one day off. Thursday I will be racing at the Saunders 10k in Rye NH.

1 comment:

  1. Great week - I had a miserable run on Saturday too.. Yuck. Good luck on Thursday :)

    ReplyDelete